In a not so shocking announcement the coroner who was working on the Amy Winehouse case has released findings that show Amy drank herself to death. The toxicology results showed that Amy’s blood alcohol level (BAC) was more than four times the legal limit at the time of her death. Given these findings the coroner has concluded that Winehouse died as a direct result from consuming copious amounts of alcohol.
Winehouse was well known for her substance abuse issues and was 27 years old at the time of her death on July 23 of 2011. The official statement is Amy died of “Death by Misadventure.” This is a nice way of saying that Winehouse downed so much liquor it killed her.
Winehouse’s family, who claimed that Amy died from alcohol withdrawal at the time of her death, released a statement. “It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days.” The statement went on to say, “It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation.”
This was a terrible tragedy that took an incredibly talented entertainer. A recently released single with Tony Bennett showcased Winehouse’s pipes beautifully and Bennett himself has been on talk shows talking about the talented but troubled artist. Amy’s untimely death is truly sad, but her story serves as a reminder that drug and alcohol abuse is not to be taken lightly.Tags: alcohol, Amy Winehouse, cause of death, foundation, Overdose, Tony Bennett