GAINESVILLE, Florida ~ (Gainesville Sun/ AP) ~ A woman lost three fingers when she tried to wake up her boyfriend with fireworks left over from the 4th of July.
The unidentified 36-year-old woman and her boyfriend told officers from the Gainesville Police Department that they had been drinking the night before the Sunday morning incident on August 7th. The woman said she was holding a pyrotechnic item in her hand when she lit the fuse, with the intention of throwing it out the open door of their unit at the Georgetown Apartment complex.
Instead, the device exploded in her hand, tearing off her thumb, middle and ring fingers. The blast was so powerful that investigating officers found one bone remnant embedded in the apartment ceiling. The woman was taken to receive medical care at Shands at the University of Florida. The boyfriend told police he wasn’t aware they had any fireworks left over from their Independence Day celebration, and it was out of character for the woman to do such a thing.
Photo credit: Spike Mike (do not attempt)Tags: boom, fingers, fireworks, Florida, wake up, Weird News, woman